Patient and carer achievements
Our patient and carer group – Patient and Carer Voice in Cancer (PCVC) – has been working hard to make sure that the patient and carer voice is head across all our cancer projects.
Here is just a small selection of some of the things they have been working on to support all residents and patients across north east London.
Attending/providing feedback for multiple focus group events.
- Fiona has been involved with the Barts Hospital Charity Grants Committee to support the funding request for a new Breast Cancer Centre.
- Chris shared his wife’s story and spoke to a commissioner at the Tower Hamlets International Day for Persons with Disabilities. This has led to contact with other local organisations, including Healthwatch.
- Natalie and Fiona and spoke to the public to encourage them to visit their GP during the National Cancer Bus tour.
- Jane attended the City and Hackney Macmillan event ‘Implementing Personalised Cancer Care in City and Hackneys Out-of-Hospital Setting’
- David attended the Macmillan and TCST event ‘Who Cares about Personalised Cancer Care’.
- Natalie shared her art work and support group materials for people affected by cancer and their mental health.
PCVC Meetings and Strategy
In 2022/2023, the PCVC group met in Stratford approximately every 4-6 weeks to discuss a broad range of topics. During this year, the group initiated a change of direction and began working on a strategic plan by identifying actions and priorities.
This included a spotlight on Holistic Needs Assessments and Cancer Care Reviews, reflecting their shared passion for Personalised Cancer Care. In 23/24, PCVC will be focusing on recruiting new members and community engagement.
Feedback and Project Input
The group has been invaluable in providing patient insight, ideas and challenges for a number of cancer alliance projects in north east London, including:
- The City and Hackney Cancer Needs Assessment
- Barts Lung Cancer Screening Project
- NELCA Breast Cancer Screening for People with Serious Mental Illness
- NELCA Older Peoples Project
- NELCA and TCST Psychological Harm on the Cancer Pathway
- NELCA Liver Surveillance leaflet
- Targeted Lung Health Check programme
- Early Diagnosis Centre recruitment materials
- National Community Pharmacy Early Diagnosis project
- Gathering BHR patient experience feedback.