Lymphoedema is a very common side effect from cancer treatment. The condition results in swelling of the upper and lower limbs. It occurs due to blockage in the lymphatic system which is part of the immune system.
A lymphoedema specialists is usually a clinical nurse specialists or physiotherapist and they will confirm the diagnosis and manage treatment for it.
Here is a range of useful tools and resources to help if you, or a friend or relative, has lymphoedema;
- Just diagnosed? The Lymphoedema Support Network is a national, patient led charity that helps support and educate patients, their families and healthcare professionals about lymphoedema. They have a range of resources on their website, including tips for managing your lymphoedema.
- Video to explain what lymphoedema is.
- Useful tips and resources from the British Lymphology Society.
- Patient stories on their experience of lymphoedema.
- The UK NHS Lymphoedema Network Wales specialists and patients have created a collection of 13 short films to help you understand and manage your lymphoedema.
- Search cancer services in your area via Cancer Care Map.